Skip to main content

International Mobility & Collaboration Centre   |  Main Campus


Need more information? No worries, we have answers to all your questions!


What does IMCC do?

IMCC's role is to cater to the needs and issues of all international students.

We provide a range of services to ensure that international students feel supported and included during their time studying abroad. These services are designed to address academic challenges, cultural adjustment, language barriers, and any other issues that international students may face.

By offering a wide range of resources and support, IMCC aims to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for all international students.

When is the preferred time to buy a flight ticket?

Flights are generally the most inexpensive between four months and three weeks before your departure date.

Flights tend to be the most affordable during a specific time frame, which is typically between four months and three weeks before the departure date. During this period, airlines often offer discounted fares and promotions 

It is advisable to plan and book your flights within this window to take advantage of the best prices. However, it's important to note that flight prices can vary depending on various factors such as destination, airline, season, and demand.

International student - What should I do once I have arrived in Malaysia? What is the process? Are there any COVID restrictions?

The student must get their health screening done, followed by applying for a visa.

International students are typically required to undergo a health screening and obtain a visa before studying abroad. The health screening is necessary to ensure that the student is in good health and does not pose a risk to public health.

This may involve a physical examination, vaccinations, and medical tests. Once the health screening is completed, the student can proceed with the visa application process.

Where can I get my student card?

For undergraduate students, you can obtain your student card at the Chancellery Building, while postgraduate students can obtain their student card from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS).

For undergraduate students, the process of obtaining a student card involves visiting the Chancellery Building. This is where you can collect your student card, which serves as your identification on campus. The Chancellery Building is usually responsible for handling administrative matters related to undergraduate students.

On the other hand, postgraduate students have a different process for obtaining their student cards. They can collect their student cards from the IPS office. The IPS is specifically dedicated to managing the affairs of postgraduate students, including registration and providing academic support.

How do I register for my course?

Once you are done with the registration process at IPS/Admissions office, you can create your USM email ID and login to Campus Online and register for courses.

After completing the registration process at the IPS or the Admissions office, you will be able to create your USM email ID (refer to p.11). This email will serve as your official email address throughout your studies at the university.

With your USM email ID, you can log in to Campus Online, which is the university's online portal for students.You will have access to various features and services, including course registration.

Course registration is an important step as it ensures that you are officially enrolled in the courses and have access to all the necessary materials and resources.

Do I need to book accommodation through IMCC?

IMCC does not handle accommodation services. Please contact Housing and Accommodation (HAC), USM.

To access accommodation services at USM, you will need to contact Housing and Accommodation (HAC), USM. They will be able to assist you with any inquiries or requests related to finding and securing accommodation during your studies at USM. Kindly visit for more information. 



How long does the visa renewal process take?

It takes about 3-4 weeks. Kindly apply for renewal 3 months prior to expiry.

When it comes to renewing your visa, it is advisable to apply at least 3 months before the expiry date. The renewal process typically takes about 3-4 weeks to complete. Please visit visa office located at IMCC for more information. 

What is the process for visa renewal/ student pass?

Collect all the necessary documents (original and a copy) and submit them to the Visa Office, IMCC.

To renew your visa, it is important to gather all the required documents, including the original and a copy, and submit them to the Visa Office, IMCC. The Visa Office is conveniently located on the first floor of the IMCC building.

Make sure to check the specific requirements for visa renewal and ensure that you have all the necessary paperwork before submitting your application. Visa office is open from 9 am to 12.30 pm during weekdays for public dealing. 

Who can I contact to consult about my visa?


Visa office, IMCC, USM.

  • 04-653-2492/2493

Why does the Visa Office not open in the afternoon?

The Visa Office at IMCC processes all documentation in the afternoo

This aligns with the standard break time for office jobs in Malaysia when staff members go for Zuhr prayer.

Can I represent my friend who is not in Malaysia to consult about visa application?


You can certainly represent your friend who is not in Malaysia to consult about their visa application. It is permissible for individuals to act as representatives on behalf of others.


How do I renew a visa/ student pass? What are the required documents?

Provide a copy of the passport, old visa copy, insurance receipt, overall and confirmation letter, offer letter. Also, the amount to be paid should be in cash.

  1. Copy of your passport: Make sure your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the date of application.

  2. Old visa copy: Include a copy of your previous visa, which you are renewing.

  3. Insurance receipt: Provide a receipt or proof of insurance coverage for the duration of your stay.

  4. Overall and confirmation letter: Prepare an overall and confirmation letter explaining the purpose of your visit and confirming your accommodation arrangements.

  5. Offer letter: If you are visiting for work or study purposes, include an offer letter from your employer or educational institution.

  6. EMGS processing fee: Make sure that this payment is made through online banking 

In terms of payment, it is important to note that the amount should be paid in cash. Make sure you have the required amount on hand when you visit the Visa Office.

How much do I have to pay for visa renewal? Is there an extra charge or fee?

There is a sticker fee (different for different countries) and the EMGS processing fee.

In addition to the necessary documents, there are indeed certain fees involved in the visa renewal process. These fees include the sticker fee, which varies depending on the country you are from, and the EMGS (Education Malaysia Global Services) processing fee.

It is important to check the current fee structure and ensure that you have the required amount in cash to make the payment during your visit to the Visa Office.

Is there any penalty for a late visa submission?

You need to apply for a special pass that costs RM 110 prior to applying for the renewal of visa.

In Malaysia, before applying for the renewal of a visa, it is necessary to apply for a special pass. The cost of the special pass is RM 110. This pass allows you to stay in the country legally while your visa renewal application is being processed

I have checked the visa status and it says pending from the institution, What should I do?

Contact Visa Office, IMCC

  • 04-653-2492/2493

If the visa status is showing as pending from the institution, it is advisable to contact the Visa Office at IMCC for further clarification and guidance.

You can reach out to them via phone or email to inquire about the status of your visa application. Provide them with the necessary details, such as your name, passport number, and any reference numbers associated with your application.

They will be able to provide you with the most up-to-date information and assist you in resolving any issues or concerns regarding your visa application.

I have bought the flight ticket, but my visa status has not changed and is still in process. What should I do?

Do Not buy flight tickets until you receive the EMGS approval letter.

It is highly recommended not to purchase any flight tickets until you receive the EMGS (Education Malaysia Global Services) approval letter. The approval letter confirms that your visa application has been successful, and it is necessary to have it before making any travel arrangements.

Without the EMGS approval, you may risk facing complications or even denial of entry into Malaysia.

I have sent all related documents for my visa, but my visa status remains the same. What should I do?

Please contact EMGS through email or Visa Office, IMCC wherever applicable

  • 04-653-2492/2493 

If you have submitted all the required documents for your visa application and your visa status remains unchanged, it is advisable to contact the Visa Office at IMCC or EMGS for further assistance.

They will be able to provide you with information on the status of your application and any necessary steps you need to take.

How much is the Special Pass sticker?

It costs RM 110.

As mentioned in a previous question, the price is RM110 for a special pass sticker



Please email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


What are the different types of Mobility Programmes?

There are 4 types of mobility programmes, namely,

  • Study Abroad Programme
  • Research Attachment Programme
  • Internship, and
  • Short-Term Programme.

Whether it's studying at a partner university, conducting research at a renowned institution, interning at a multinational company, or participating in a short-term program, students have various options to choose from based on their interests and goals.

These mobility programs provide students with a global perspective and help them develop cross-cultural communication skills.

How do I apply for an exchange programme?

To apply for an exchange programme, you will need to fill out two application forms:

These forms must be approved by the Dean of your school. Once approved, you can submit the forms either via email or at the IMCC Office to Madam Nik Nur Izzati.

It is important to ensure that all the required information are accurately filled out and that you meet the application deadlines for the exchange programme. 

Where can I find the partner universities list for the exchange programme?

To find the partner universities for the mobility program at USM, you can visit the IMCC website. Under the mobility program section, you will find a list of partnerships with various universities.

These partner universities offer opportunities for students to study abroad and participate in exchange programs. 

Partner University List

It is advisable to visit the IMCC website for the most up-to-date information on partner universities and their respective programs.

Who can I contact regarding the exchange programme?

To get a consultation or clarify any doubts about the exchange programme, you can contact Madam Nik Nur Izzati.

She can be reached via email or telephone at;

  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
  • +604-653-3848
What is the process for credit transfers?

To ensure a smooth credit transfer process, it is necessary to obtain an official transcript from the partner university.

(In cases where the original copy of the transcript is not sent directly to IMCC, it is recommended to reach out to the coordinator at the university via email.)

IMCC will then contact students who have returned from the exchange program to schedule a discussion regarding the credit transfer.

Following this discussion, the credit transfer letter will be processed accordingly.

It is crucial to adhere to these steps to facilitate a successful credit transfer and ensure accurate documentation of academic achievements.

Can PhD students go for an exchange programme?

Any postgraduate students can apply for an exchange programme.

It is recommended for PhD students to consult with their advisors or IMCC to explore available exchange opportunities and understand the procedures and requirements for participation.

KAWAN Business Incentives

Is the KAWAN business incentive scheme still available?

IMCC, USM is no longer processing KAWAN business incentives. It has been shut, indefinitely.