Getting in and around the Campus and Penang
- Public Bus
- Rapid Penang is the most convenient way to travel throughout the island. There is a free shuttle bus provided on campus (number CT11) that goes in and out of the USM Main Campus to Bukit Jambul, Sungai Nibong and Queensbay area. You can also take bus number 301, 303, 304 and 705 to reach USM from Port Weld and George town as well as from the Sungai Nibong Bus Terminal. Follow them on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rapidpgfans/.
- Grab is an app offering ride-hailing transport services for an alternative mode of transportation providing you seamless access to a private chauffeur. Download and install on your mobile devices from App Store or Play Store. Get more information here: https://www.grab.com/my/
- It will take around 20 minutes to reach USM from Penang International Airport. It normally costs MYR 35 one way.
- USM Bus
- There are plenty of airlines that connect directly to Penang International Airport internationally or domestically. Penang International Airport is located only 20 minutes away from USM. You can take the bus, grab or taxi and commute to USM directly.
- Long Distance Train
- Take the fast Electric Train Service (ETS) from the capital city at the Kuala Lumpur Sentral Station to the Butterworth Train Station in Penang Mainland. Travel time varies from 3.5 to 4 hours depending on number of stops for the particular journey. Connect to the island via ferry for an interesting journey. From Port Weld (ferry and public bus terminal), you can take the Rapid Bus, Grab or taxi to USM Main Campus in a 20 minutes ride (time may vary depending on traffic). Checkout their website: https://www.ktmb.com.my/
- Long Distance Bus
- There are plenty of buses better known as Express Bus that connects to various parts of Malaysia from Penang Island at the Sungai Nibong Bus Terminal. Take the Rapid Bus, Grab or taxi to the bus terminal. You can also opt to walk to/from USM Main Campus as it is so nearby (about 15 minute’s walk to/from the Sungai 2 Gate)!